Tai Chi has breadth and depth.
Tai Chi has undergone various developments until today, where there are differing styles and branches, and masters in each faction.
It is a pity, though, that the average tai chi beginner has yet to understand the intricacies and essence of Tai Chi, resulting in many being stuck in the realm and form of moving one’s hands and feet.
About Dot Taichi
Can you summarize Dot Tai Chi for me?
Dot Tai Chi (“點太極”) is not a style, branch or faction within Tai Chi. We use Dot Tai Chi to
emphasize the theory behind all forms of Tai Chi; The “Dot” is used as a
- The dot inside the first word of Tai Chi,
“Tai (太)”: Dot Tai Chi is an
emphasis on each person’s inner cultivation of Taijiquan. We first learn how to
be in control of our own body. Tai Chi begins from nothing (由無生有), and the dot symbolizes the point where we first learnt about Tai Chi: the
- The colloquial Cantonese of the saying “點解?” (or “Why”) reflects
the spirit of Dot Tai Chi. We dissect the reasoning behind each Tai Chi Theory,
using logic and science to let us better understand how to do Tai Chi
- Dot Tai Chi is about instructing (“指點”) those who are learning Tai Chi: learning how to be in control of our own body, and in turn, be in control and improve our health
- To start
learning Dot Tai Chi, we learn about the point where we are ‘Stationary‘ (“静態入手”): We train our body to be in a relaxed state by understanding what are
the “Five Points of Gravity” in our body: the gravitational downward pull in
our muscles and bones can be experienced at five different points (our two feet,
our two hands, and our spine), thereby forming five lines in our body.
The dot represents the basics when we are stationary, i.e. the “Five Points of Gravity” (五點聚力)
- We then learn
about the point where we are ‘In Motion’ (“動態也是以"點"為先”): Using our consciousness to direct our Chi, thereby the Chi will affect our
form (“意領氣，氣摧形”). As we control
the movement of energy, we can control the shape of our body by progressing
from a point (i.e. the "Dot"), to a line, to a surface area, to our entire body (“用點、線、面、體，循序漸進”)
Dot Tai Chi is nothing new: we are using our present day knowledge to pass on the treasure of our forefathers to the general public. We hope to share this traditional cultural gem with everyone. To those who are already learning Tai Chi, we hope to find like-minded individuals to pass this torch onwards.
I still remember the day I sat down and read 'What Color is your Parachute’ by Richard Bolles (a book for job-hunting). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after I graduated, so I did the exercise to find what my purpose in life was. It took me a good half hour to come to my conclusion.
Conclusion: I wanted to bring 'Health’ to the world.
So I wrote my purpose down … and then I went and became a lawyer in Hong Kong.
Recently, however, I took a leap of faith and started my own website, so I can share with the world my understanding of Tai Chi.
- I started learning Tai Chi from my dad because I had a weak constitution. At 5”11 in (180cm), I was underweight at 67kg (147 lbs).
- I remember how I would often fall sick, feel demotivated, drown myself in addictions, then fall sick again. This vicious cycle would repeat itself.
- And it was also embarrassing to the extreme: there were times which I had to wear two pairs of pants because I was afraid of catching a cold.
- I worked on my own fitness by going to the gym. I now weigh 77 kg, 170 lbs, and feel noticeably stronger in my lifts.
But while going to the gym has improved my health and fitness, practicing Tai Chi fills in the missing gaps in my life: it brings me physical and mental stability.
I started this Tai Chi website to work towards my purpose; to strike two birds with one stone:
- To create content of value and share this with others. When there is sufficient valuable content … I have read that passive income will follow :D
- From a selfish point of view, I want to put what I have learnt into writing. By constantly working and thinking about Tai Chi, I would further improve on my own health and fitness.